Don’t Suffer in Silence – A Mental Health Story with Patience Abonge (Part 1)
In another addition to our Mental Health Awareness series, we are joined by Patience Abonge, and she is here to share her story. She has suffered from anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and psychosis. Today she encourages us not to be afraid to tell our story. We don’t have to suffer in silence. Together we are stronger, and together we can conquer the challenges along our journey.
[00:01 – 02:35] Opening Segment
- Introduction of guest and topic
[02:36 – 25:58] Patience’s Story
- Patience shares her story – from childhood to marriage.
- She talks about getting raped by one of their family members
- The trauma it caused and how it affected her life
- The worries she had for her son that had autism
- Fearing society’s judgeful nature
[25:56 – 43:40] Punishment
- Getting disowned by her own family
- Landing herself in a mental institution
- Going deeper and deeper into depression
“I think I’ve been through all kinds of challenges, [but now] I have to challenge myself.” – Patience Abonge
“You have to be conscious of what you want to do.” – Patience Abonge
LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you!
You can connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, or send us an email at email@example.com. Check out our website www.livingafricanpodcast.com for more resources and to learn more.
You can connect with Anyoh on Facebook (@anyohf), Instagram (@anyohfombad), and Twitter (@anyohfombad).